Location: Remote (CET +/- 3hrs) or Amsterdam/Sarajevo office.
Application Deadline: 5 August 2023 at 11:59 P.M. CET
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, and strategists, each with areas of in-depth expertise.
The Information Security team is responsible for providing the tools, processes, analysis and training of staff. We provide services for OCCRP and external journalists cooperating with OCCRP. Information we protect is used in investigations leading to publications like Suisse Secrets, the Pegasus Project, or the Daphne Project. We provide the tools and support needed to keep information and, most importantly, people safe and secure.
The nature of our work means that we deal with real attacks and threats daily. State actors and organised crime entities do and will continue to target our staff.
We are looking for an experienced security analyst to join our small team.
Although remote, you must be within a time zone that is CET/CEST +/- 3hrs. We do provide support to users globally, so from time to time; there may be a need to talk to someone outside traditional work hours.
There is a limited amount of travel associated with this role, including possible attendance at conferences. So the ideal candidate must be willing to travel occasionally (1-4 times a year).
This is a “doing” role, with an expectation that threat hunting, intelligence gathering and forensic analysis are something that you enjoy. The role will have input into wider Governance, Risk and Compliance activities, but these are not the direct mandate of this role.
This role suits someone who enjoys the technical side of information security analysis and providing guidance to others. You must be able to communicate excellently in both written and verbal forms in English.
- Protect, detect, and respond to information/cyber security incidents.
- Perform threat hunting and threat intelligence activities.
- Perform forensic analysis using a variety of E/XDR tooling across user endpoint devices (predominantly Apple).
- Work with our platform engineers to ensure secure practices are used to operate our cloud environments (SaaS solutions plus Kubernetes etc).
- Provide guidance to developers around secure coding practices.
- Assist with risk assessments and other GRC work.
- Be our contact person with our partners, e.g., CiviCert and smaller informal networks.
- Participate in selecting security solutions or enhancements to existing ones to improve overall security.
- Perform as a named delegate for the CISO on occasion.
- Provide monthly input to internal newsletters about security tips or items of note.
Qualifications/Education – Minimum Requirements:
- At least four years of experience in cyber security.
- Proven hands-on experience with security tooling, intrusion prevention systems, endpoint protection, security incident analysis.
Ideal Additional Knowledge & Skills:
- Previous work experience in a security operations centre.
- Previous work experience dealing with staff with low technical literacy.
- Relevant security certifications.
- Experience in automation and orchestration.
- Follow international news closely and react if it might affect our network of journalists.
What’s In It For You?
- Work in an organisation that’s at the forefront of investigative journalism.
- Working in an organisation where the threats and both real and actionable.
- Being able to work from home (remote). Or from an office (Amsterdam/Sarajevo).
- Working with a small but friendly team where there is no office politics.
- Professional development opportunities are available depending on your goals.
To apply, please email your CV and a Cover Letter to jobs[at]occrp.org
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Whilst we have internal goals to reply to unsuccessful candidates, we regret that the high number of applicants greatly exceeds our capacity to respond to each person. We apologize that we will not be able to reply to any unsuccessful applicants.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact hr[at]occrp.org