Position: Remote Social Media and Engagement Editor (4-month maternity cover from July to October 2023)
The Global Investigative Journalism Network, a dynamic nonprofit, is looking for a Social Media and Engagement Editor to aggregate and distribute investigative tips, tools, and resources over its outreach platforms. Duties include aggregating, writing, and posting daily on the organization’s Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts, assisting in the copy and production of English newsletters, and expanding the online reach of GIJN to journalism and related communities. The position is for four months from July to October 2023, with possibility of extension. This is a full-time position. The successful candidate will work closely with GIJN’s Deputy Director and Global Team Manager.
GIJN is an association of 244 organizations in 90 countries dedicated to spreading and advancing investigative journalism around the world. This is a unique chance to be at the center of the global hub servicing the world’s investigative journalists at a time of unprecedented opportunities and challenges.
Applicants must have a solid understanding of investigative and data journalism. Experience and skill with social media are a must. GIJN is a distributed nonprofit, and this is a remote position: the successful candidate can be based anywhere with a strong broadband connection.
GIJN is staffed by an extraordinary multicultural team based in 25 countries. You’ll work in a collaborative network that is having an impact every day on the front lines of journalism.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Aggregating and writing social media items, and distributing on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn) the best available content on tools, methods, data sets, opportunities, and innovative practices in investigative and data journalism;
- Promoting GIJN’s stories, resources, and events to relevant journalism and related organizations;
- Growing the audience of GIJN’s social media platforms, compiling and reviewing reach and usage metrics to further inform social media and engagement strategies;
- Assisting in the copy and production of English newsletters;
- Preparing and executing a promotion and marketing plan for the 2023 Global Investigative Journalism Conference;
- Assist with other GIJN tasks, as required.
- Applicants should have a minimum of 2 years professional social media experience in a newsroom or journalism-related organization;
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Strong organizational skills and a detail-oriented personality;
- The ability to work remotely and comfortably in a global, virtual, highly diverse cross-cultural team;
- Self-motivated with good communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and meet multiple deadlines;
- Knowledge of WordPress, Mailchimp, and Canva is a plus;
- Understanding of investigative and data journalism.
Location: Fully remote. GIJN is a virtual non-profit organization. You will need good, dependable broadband.
Salary: USD $4,000 to $5,000 per month, depending on experience and location.
Application Deadline: May 24, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The successful candidate will join us at the Global Investigative Journalism Conference in Gothenburg, Sweden, where they will oversee GIJN’s social media coverage of the premier international event in our field.
Qualified candidates please click the APPLY button. Provide all requested information, including:
- your CV or resume
- a cover letter
#LI-RemoteApply for this position